The Brentsville Magisterial District is geographically the largest in Prince William County. Brentsville citizens live in urban settings, planned communities and along rural dirt roads. The boundaries of the Brentsville District can be seen in the map link below. The District is comprised of Bristow, Nokesville, Gainesville and the Westgate community in Manassas, as well as residents south of the Town of Haymarket.
Brentsville history dates back to 1687 when the Brentsville tract of land was first granted by Thomas Lord Culpepper to George Brent. The area served as the Prince William County seat for almost 75 years in the 1800s. After the Civil War and with the expansion of railroads the County seat was moved to Manassas. The Brentsville Historic Area includes the courthouse, the jail, a one-room schoolhouse, a church, a relocated early-19th century log house and the tavern archaeological site. The buildings have been preserved and are almost fully restored and open to the public.
Today the Brentsville District is home to some of the most innovative technological advances in the world in fields like bioscience, forensics, anti-terrorism and data management. Innovation@ Prince William provides a base for targeted markets right in the heart of the Brentsville District. The investment already made by global high tech employers like PowerLoft, biotech corporations like ATCC, George Mason University Life Sciences research programs and the FBI has provided new economic development opportunities for our area. With the added attraction of the Hylton Performing Arts Center and the expanding Virginia Gateway regional center of commerce, the Brentsville District is well positioned to benefit from additional economic development opportunities.